CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
MARCH 11, 2019
The Wellington City Council met Monday March 11, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St. Mayor Peterson opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
In attendance were Mayor Richard Peterson, Council members Wm. Roy Barker, Randy Florence, A. Kent Rogge and Dave Russell, City Collector Mark Schroer, City Clerk Sharon Barker, Police Chief Josh Coen, employees Wilson Jones Jr, Mark Adkison and Rollin Blacketer. Visitor present was Ruth Beamer.
Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Councilman Barker to accept the agenda with additions. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Russell to approve the minutes of the regular meeting and closed meetings of February 11, 2019. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Wilson Jones’ report for February 2019 was in the Council packets. There were no questions.
* Jones stated that there is now a high limit on PH. It is 9.0 and ours always runs 9.2. In the past there were no high limits. He stated all of the samples were good and the new ammonia levels should lower the PH.
* Jones will be at the Floodplain Conference March 27, 28 & 29. If there is a water break we should call him first and he will contact the relief operator. If we can’t reach him we should call the relief operator ourselves.
* Water usage comparison report was in the council packets and the ground tank records were available at the meeting. There were no questions.
* Mayor Peterson reported on the lagoon project. Jim Ross from Bartlett & West and Ann Black, our grant writer, will be here Thursday March 14, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. If any council members can attend that would be helpful.
* Mayor Peterson reported that to fix the Dodge to again be 4 wheel drive was too expensive. The truck runs fine in 2 wheel drive.
* Adkison stated we need to replace the 2 weed-eaters that we have and also needs a walk behind blower.
* The to-do list for Adkison and Blacketer is to sweep the streets as much as they can and to fix holes in streets.
Nothing to report.
Mayor Peterson and Florence gave a brief report on the meeting they had with Wellington-Napoleon Special Road District on March 6, 2019. Mark Adkison also attended the meeting. Jimmy John Leach will be the liaison between the city and road district. Councilman Barker reported he contacted Leach about hauling rock for us on Saturday but has not heard back from him. Leach stated he would have to contact the other two members before an answer could be given.
* As Councilman Barker is in town more than Russell, Mayor Peterson would like for them to switch positions on the council. Barker was over police and Russel on streets. Both parties accepted the changes.
* Chief Coen reported that Dallas was attempting to contact owners of Pit Bulls but has been unsuccessful as no one will answer their door. Coen and Dallas will try again and take further action if needed.
* Monthly report was in the packet and reviewed prior to meeting. There were no questions regarding the report.
* Chief Coen reported that he would like permission to take the countertop in the police department down which is pulling away from the wall, and replace it with two desks. There is a metal desk in storage that he will use and would like to purchase a used wooden corner desk from Nerds for $100.00. Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Russell to allow the purchase and change in the police office. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Chief Coen reported that he had spoken to the owners of a problem property in town and has given the parties 90 days from March 4, 2019 to clean up the outside of the house.
* City Collector Mark Schroer gave his report for February 2019.
* Check was received from Lafayette County for taxes in the amount of $21,818.40.
* The Council reviewed the delinquent water bill report.
Councilman Barker made a motion, seconded by Russell to accept the Financial Report and current bills with additions. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Rogge made a motion seconded by Florence to approve the budget amendments as presented by Clerk Barker and to allow Clerk Barker to make budget adjustments as necessary and then report them to the council until further notice. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Discussion of sewer rates was held. This will be brought up in the April 8, 2019 meeting and 30 day notice of public hearing will be scheduled for May 13, 2019
With no further business motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Russell to adjourn. Roll call vote. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.
Sharon Barker, City Clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor