CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
May 14, 2018
The Wellington City Council met Monday, May 14, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St. Mayor Peterson opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
In attendance were Mayor Richard Peterson, Council members Wm. Roy Barker, Randy Florence and Dave Russell, City Clerk Sharon Barker, City Collector Mark Schroer, employees Wilson Jones, Rollin Blacketer and Andrew Lockhart. Visitors present were Ruth Beamer, Dawne Jones, Scout Schaberg, Mark Schaberg, Danny Grechus and Patrick Donivan Burger. Councilman A. Kent Rogge joined the meeting at 7:30.
A motion was made by Florence and seconded by Councilman Barker to accept the agenda. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye and Russell, aye.
Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Russell to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 9, 2018 and Closed Meeting of April 9, 2018. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye and Russell aye.
Danny Grechus addressed the council regarding operating a Wellington Wine & Beer Garden that will be sponsored by La Bella Vineyards and Winery during the fair in September. He will get liquor licenses from the State and County and will then be able to purchase a liquor/business license from the City.
Scout Schaberg addressed the Council and stated he is working on his Eagle Project from the Scouts of America and asked if there was anything the city needed that he could do to earn hours toward his project. Mayor Peterson stated that he could paint the bandstand and food stand located in the city park for starters and then he could water flowers that the 4-H is placing in the park. If anything else comes up Mayor Peterson will contact him.
* Wilson Jones gave his report for April 2018. Jones stated samples will be taken Wednesday as there is no effluent at this time. He thinks there will be no effluent in the near future unless there is a heavy rain.
* Jones stated cells 2 & 3 need to be boated and copper sulfate applied to them.
* Jones will get a price from Pace Analytical for wet testing. It will probably be over $500.00.
* Jones will be on jury duty next Monday but will be around in the evening if needed.
* Mayor Peterson reported that all sewer adjustments were made and showed on the May 2018 water bills. A copy of the report was passed around to council members.
* Rogge and Mayor Peterson gave an update on the lagoon project. The Engineer for us and the Niendick family are working through things and we will be notified when everything is finalized.
* Mayor Peterson reported that an insurance reimbursement was received for the repair of the skid loader.
* Ground tank records and water usage comparison report was in their packets. There were no questions.
* Russell asked about the cost of the water that was lost when there was a leak earlier this year. Clerk Barker will have it ready for the next meeting.
* Blacketer reported that 1 weed eater is in the shop for repairs. The cable on the trigger is stretched. He also reported the Ford is getting very hard to start and making “noises” and the tailgate on the dump truck has been installed.
* Mayor Peterson reported that there is another problem with the Dodge, it is running but needs repairs and quoted cost was $2000.00. After discussion the Mayor and Council will be looking for a 1 ton, flat bed, 4 wheel drive truck to replace the Dodge and Ford.
* The to-do list for Adkison and Blacketer is to remove low hanging branches as farmers are having trouble getting around. They are to look for low hanging wires and report the locations to Peterson. They are to boat the lagoon and spread the copper sulfate and get donation boxes set up in the cemetery and make it look good for Memorial Day.
* Blacketer reported about a large hole in an alley that must be used as there is no street parking for the residents needs to be fixed. He has repeatedly put rock in it but it does not stay. He asked for permission to fill the hole with rock and cover it with asphalt as that would last much longer. Council told him to do that and let them know how it holds.
Mayor Peterson reported that a tarp must be purchased to cover asphalt that we will be purchasing. A tarp will be purchased .
* Tara Miller, Animal Control Officer stated she has taken care of dog complaints. She took 3 dogs to Tails End, 2 of the dogs were recovered by owners. She was also able to return 2 dogs to owners before they went to Tails End along with warning tickets to the 2 owners. One ticket was issued.
* Clerk Barker reported there was either a dog, raccoon or possum issue on Central Street as a resident reported something gets into her trash every week. Traps will be set out Wednesday evening.
* A leaf blower has been purchased.
* Resignation letters from Chief Weese and Reserve Officer Cody Smith was reviewed by the council. Motion was made by Florence and seconded by councilman Barker to accept the resignations. . Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Monthly report was prepared by Chief Weese prior to his resignation and reviewed by the Council.
* Lockhart will take the police car in on June 16th to get lettering done on it. It will be out of service until work is completed. Officers will use the city truck while the car is gone.
* Mayor Peterson contacted Kustom Signs to reach a settlement on the price. They adjusted the bill by $10.00 and clerk Barker was instructed to pay it.
* City Collector Mark Schroer presented his report for April 2018. He reported that checks were received from Lafayette County for property taxes in the amount of $892.16.
* Schroer submitted the delinquent water bill report for review and discussion.
* Florence made a motion, seconded by Rogge to accept the Financial Report and current bills with additions. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Mayor Peterson reported that security cameras have been purchased and we are waiting on installation to be done.
* Clerk Barker asked for permission to attend a training seminar on August 1st in Kansas City at a cost of $79.00. Permission was granted.
* Schroer reported that the annual BBQ contest will be held on June 2, 2018 in the city park.
* Mayor Peterson announced that the City Wide Curbside pickup will be June 7, 2018. Notice will be placed at the post office regarding this.
* Mayor Peterson announced that the old police car was sold to the county for $2,000.00.
* After discussion it was decided to have city employees push down the rotten tree on Bluff and 5th streets and then dispose of it.
* First reading of the 2018-04 Adopting ordinance was read. Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Florence to approve the ordinance. Roll call vote. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Second reading of the 2018-04 Adopting ordinance was read. Motion was made by councilman Barker and seconded by Rogge to approve the ordinance. Roll call vote. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* There was discussion regarding the budget for 2018-2019. Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Russell to accept the 2018-2019 Budget. Roll call vote. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Motion was made for a second vote on accepting the 2018-2019 Budget by Rogge and seconded by Florence. Roll call vote. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Lee Roy Ashley joined the meeting and announced he would like apply to be a reserve officer for the city.
* Mayor Peterson said that My Store was trying to add an addition to the building and if permission is not obtained through the county the owner might want to voluntarily get annexed into the city.
As there was no further business a motion was made by Florence and seconded by Russell to close the meeting to go into closed session to discuss personnel issues. Meeting ended at 8:28 pm.
Meeting resumed at 9:15
Mayor Peterson announced that the council has decided to hire Lee Roy Ashley from Lexington as a Reserve Officer.
Mayor Peterson will have Adkison and Blacketer measure the West end of Buford Street as there have been complaints regarding parking. After measuring the street options will be taken into consideration.
As there was no further business a motion was made by Florence and seconded by Councilman Barker to adjourn. Motion carried 4-0. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 9:31 p.m.
Sharon Barker, City Clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor