CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
APRIL 9, 2018
The Wellington City Council met Monday, April 9, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St. Mayor Peterson opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
In attendance was Mayor Richard Peterson, Council members Wm. Roy Barker, Randy Florence, A. Kent Rogge and Dave Russell, Police Chief Brian Weese, City Clerk Sharon Barker, City Collector Mark Schroer, employees Mark Adkison, Wilson Jones, and Rollin Blacketer. Visitors present were Ruth Beamer, Dawne Jones, Joe Thornburg and Randy Jones.
A motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Councilman Barker to accept the agenda. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Russell to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 12, 2018. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge, aye and Russell aye.
Fire Chief Randy Jones and Emergency Management Director Joe Thornburg asked the council for permission for L&B Electronics to bolt and install a repeater on the water tower in order to receive communications with 911 as it has been moved from Lexington to Higginsville. Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Councilman Barker to approve the request. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Thornburg announced that a Holocaust Survivor will be a guest speaker in September. More details will be given when they are received.
When Randy Jones was asked about burning he stated it is illegal to burn anything man-made without the approval of the Fire Department.
The following elected officials were sworn in by Clerk Barker: Richard Peterson – Mayor, Mark Schroer – City Collector, William Roy Barker and Randy Florence – Councilmen.
Mayor Peterson gave his recommendation of appointments. Florence made a motion seconded by Rogge to approve the appointments as follows: Rogge – President of the Board and Cemetery Department, Weese – Chief of Police and First Building Inspector, Russell – Street Department, Councilman Barker – Public Safety and Second Building Inspector, Florence – Water/Sewer Department, Mary Ann Campbell – Deputy City Clerk and Deputy Collector, Jennifer Baird of Lauber Municipal Law, LLC – City Attorney, Danielle Rogers – Prosecutor, and Clerk Barker – City Clerk, Record Keeper, Treasurer and Preparer of Certification of Elections.
Clerk Barker then swore in Chief of Police Weese.
* Wilson Jones gave his report for March 2018. He states everything is fine. Wastewater samples were good. The enzyme block is not dissolving as fast as the previous one due to the colder weather. He further stated that a “wet test” will need to be completed sometime soon. Jones will be attending a conference of April 11, 12 and 13. He wants to be called if there are any problems and he will contact Randy Volskay if it is necessary.
* Rogge and Mayor Peterson gave an update on the lagoon project. The farmer and his family that are a part of this project asked for some adjustments to the original proposal. Everything seems to be going pretty smooth with that project. Rogge and Peterson will call our engineer Jim Ross from Bartlett & West to discuss the changes with him.
* Ground tank records and water usage comparison report was in their packets. There were no questions.
* A report was given concerning water loss. The leak is now fixed and this month’s readings were close to matching PWSD’s billing.
* Adkison and Blacketer asked to use an old metal desk to put the sand box on when it is not in use. There were no objections. They also reported the dump truck has been repaired and is back in operation.
* Mayor Peterson reported that there is a very large tree on 5th and Bluff streets that needs to come down as it is rotted.
* The to-do list for Adkison and Blacketer is to continue with normal daily activities, cut the tree down at 5th and Bluff streets, and get the boat and motor ready for boating the lagoon.
Mayor Peterson reported that salt and sand mix has been received.
* Tara Miller, Animal Control Officer was unable to attend. Clerk Barker reported for her that the raccoon had been trapped that was causing problems and two dogs at large were re-united with their owners.
* Mayor Peterson reported that Tara has the right to issue tickets. Chief Weese will get a ticket book for her and show her what needs to be filled out on each ticket.
* Mayor Peterson will discuss her hours with her.
* A new leaf blower is needed to blow grass clippings and leaves off of headstones. Adkison will check to find the best place to obtain a Stihl leaf blower.
* Rogge discussed with Adkison and Blacketer that non ethanol gas should be used in all 2 cycle engines. They will obtain some.
* Adkison stated that the mole chasers seem to be doing a good job at the Cemetery with mole control.
* Chief Weese presented his monthly report. Florence stated that more patrolling needs to be done in the evening. Weese reported he is trying to find reserve officers to cover evenings and he will do more evening patrol and talk to Reserve Officer Lockhart about patrolling more in evenings.
* There was discussion on the police car lettering that was not acceptable to the council members. Part of the lettering was removed so it was decided to leave it as is for now and Mayor Peterson will call Kustom Signs to reach a settlement on the price.
* City Collector Mark Schroer presented his report for March 2018. He reported that checks were received from Lafayette County for property taxes in the amount of $843.02.
* Schroer submitted the delinquent water bill report for review and discussion.
* Schroer reported that he was informed that Lafayette County has abated all 2012 Personal Property Taxes.
* Rogge made a motion, seconded by Florence to accept the Financial Report and current bills with additions. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* After discussion regarding security cameras Florence made a motion seconded by Russell to purchase the cameras and arrange for installation. . Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Florence made a motion seconded by Rogge to obtain quoted insurance on the park structures and 2 sirens. . Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* After discussion it was decided to sell the old police car. Everything that needs to come off of it will be removed by Weese, Adkison and Blacketer to get it ready to sell.
* There were prices for advertising from The Odessan and The Lexington News. Clerk Barker was asked to contact The Odessan with questions.
* A copy of the City Limits was given to each councilman. There have been dumping violations which have been addressed and will be cleaned up soon.
* It was reported that there have been very positive comments regarding the recycling bin.
* First reading of Resolution 2018-01, A resolution to join the National League of Cities (NLC) Service Line Program. Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Councilman Barker to accept the first reading. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Second reading of Resolution 2018-01, A Resolution to join the National League of Cities (NLC) Service Line Program was completed. A motion was made by Rogge seconded by Florence to accept the second reading. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Florence to give Clerk Barker permission to pay regular monthly bills on time to avoid late fees and adjust the budget as needed. All information will then be presented to the council at their next meeting. . Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
* Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Florence to adjourn to closed session for personnel issues. . Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Meeting adjourned at 8:35.
* Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Russell to return to open meeting at 8:49. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Mayor Peterson announced since no wrongdoing was done no action will be taken on the Citizen Complaint as it was hearsay and therefore, not valid.
As there was no further business a motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Councilman Barker to adjourn. Motion carried 4-0. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, Rogge aye and Russell aye.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 8:54 p.m.
Sharon Barker, City Clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor