CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
AUGUST 14, 2017
The Wellington City Council met Monday, August 14, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St.
In attendance were Mayor Richard Peterson, Council members Wm. Roy Barker, A. Kent Rogge and Randy Florence, Police Chief Brian Weese, City Clerk Sharon Barker, employees Wilson Jones, Mark Adkison, Rollin Blacketer and Tara Miller. Visitor present was Ruth Beamer.
Council member Dave Russell was unable to attend due to his work schedule.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Richard Peterson with the pledge of allegiance.
A motion was made by Florence and seconded by Rogge to accept the agenda. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, and Rogge, aye.
Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Florence to approve the minutes of the July 10th regular meeting and closed session with the correction of changing the motion to adjourn the closed meeting from Clerk Barker to Councilman Barker. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence, aye, and Rogge, aye.
· Wilson Jones presented his report for July. Everything looked good. The water break samples came back good. Jones stated Copper Sulfate needs to be put in the lagoon now. He also suggested we order some other kind of Enzyme Block for the lagoon. Clerk Barker will check on this and prices.
· Ground tank records and water usage comparison report was in their packets. The Council had no questions regarding the reports.
· Adkison reported that there were no additional problems with equipment. Adkison was asked to take the Encore Mower to the Kingsville Auction Labor Day Weekend event and place a $4500.00 reserve on it.
· The to-do list for Adkison and Blacketer is to boat the lagoon at least once a week, check the lift stations weekly, on Saturdays or Sundays for grease buildup, cut and remove branches over Pine Street, exercise the valves and flush hydrants.
· Adkison reported we need to order additional 10 tons of Asphalt.
· Animal Control Officer Tara Miller reported everything was going good. They have addressed the problem with the dog that has been getting into the trash. She has issued a few warnings for cats and dogs.
· Mayor Peterson informed the council that he is still working on getting the broken headstone fixed.
Neal Quackenbush and Scott Wilper then addressed the council regarding the letter he received from the City concerning his properties. He stated he would get the hole on 224 Highway where the building was torn down filled with flow able fill by 27th of September as the Wellington Fair is September 28, 29 and 30. He also stated he will make an attempt to put in windows and possibly a door at Engineers Hall on 224 Highway.
Quackenbush further stated that he has sprayed the weeds at 804 South Street and inquired if we could clean the stone and stone wall that has chip and seal on it from our recent street improvements. The City will look into this for him.
· Chief Weese presented his monthly report. He is very pleased with the Reserve Officers and hopes to hire one more to take the place of a Reserve Officer no longer employed by the City.
· Weese reported that he would like to order a shirt for one of the Reserve Officers and was given permission to do so.
· Mayor Peterson reported that he is still looking for a replacement of the police car. The council decided that when one is found that the current police car will be listed as surplus and sold.
· Councilman Barker reported he had a meeting with all of the Police Department and explained what was needed on time sheets and had a nice discussion with them.
· City Collector Mark Schroer presented his report for July 2017. He reported that a check had been received from Lafayette County for taxes in the amount of $116.95.
· Schroer submitted the delinquent water bill report and discussed several overdue accounts.
· Schroer stated that there will be a meeting at City Hall for Wellington Drainage District on Friday, August 18th. Kent Rogge will be attending as he is the Secretary and Treasurer for the District.
· Schroer stated the company putting in the roundabout has used 72,000 gallons of water so far (24 loads X 3000 gallon).
· Florence made a motion, seconded by Councilman Barker that the Financial Report be accepted and that the current bills along with additions be approved for payment. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
· A thank you card from Ag-Power was passed around thanking us for leasing the John Deere Mower.
· Action on property at 112 Arabella was tabled as the Mortgage holder has contacted us and is working on a settlement.
· Bi-Annual Financial Statements were reviewed. Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Florence to approve the Financial Statements and have them published in the newspaper. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
· A Public Hearing was held at 6:45 regarding the tax rates proposed by the City. No one from the public attended.
· First reading of Ordinance 2017-05 “An Ordinance of the City of Wellington, Missouri, Setting the Rate of Taxation to Be Levied for the year 2017 for the City of Wellington, County of Lafayette, Missouri was held. Motion was made by Florence and seconded by Councilman Barker to approve the Ordinance. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
· Second reading of Ordinance 2017-05 “An Ordinance of the City of Wellington, Missouri, Setting the Rate of Taxation to Be Levied for the year 2017 for the City of Wellington, County of Lafayette, Missouri was held. Motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Councilman Barker to approve the Ordinance. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
· A review of the Ray-Carroll Fuels Propane Contract was held. After discussion a motion was made by Florence and seconded by Rogge to approve the contract. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
· Properties with high weeds were discussed. Most of the notices given to mow the weeds were taken care of. Chief Weese reported he had written 3 summonses to the ones that have not complied. They have a court date of 9-28-17
· Mayor Peterson reported that he has been informed that water meter installation will begin this Wednesday.
· Rogge reported that the crops should be OK this year. There was some damage from the flood water but not a lot.
· Mayor Peterson stated that a pole saw for the City had been purchased..
· Councilman Florence made a motion seconded by Councilman Barker to go into closed session in order to discuss personnel and legal issues. Roll call vote. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker aye, Florence aye, and Rogge aye.
Regular meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.
Council re-convened the regular business meeting at 9:10 p.m.
Mayor Peterson stated that the council had decided to hire Cody Smith as new Police Reserve Officer.
As there was no further business to discuss, motion was made by Rogge and seconded by Councilman Barker to adjourn. Roll call vote was taken. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Councilman Barker, aye, Florence aye and Rogge aye.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 9:11 p.m.
Sharon Barker, City Clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor