CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
DECEMBER 14, 2015
The Wellington City Council met Monday, December 14, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St.
Council members present were: Dave Russell, Randy Florence, Wm. Roy Barker and A. Kent Rogge. Employees present were: Mark Schroer, Brandon Leach and Steve Ryun. Visitor present was Ruth Beamer.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor, Richard Peterson with the pledge of allegiance.
A motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the agenda with three additions: Add windows in City Hall and police office, ideas to improve employee relations and concerns regarding sliding doors at maintenance building. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Dave Russell, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye and Randy Florence aye.
A motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the minutes of the November 9, 2015 business meeting with correction and the Special Meeting of November 23, 2015. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. A. Kent Rogge, aye, Dave Florence, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye and Randy Florence, aye.
A motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the financial report as presented and to accept the current bills for payment. Motion passed 4-0 in favor. Dave Russell, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye and Randy Florence, aye.
Police Department Report:
* Chief, Steve Ryun, presented the November activity report to council.
* Chief Ryun reported that the leak in his office is getting worse. There is a leak around the window and the carpet in the storage room was wet. Rick will get someone to fix it as he is waiting on bids to replace the windows in the Clerk’s office.
* Chief Ryun reported that a report was given to the Juvenile Officer and he is waiting to set up a meeting with the Juvenile Officer and parents of the juveniles involved.
* Chief Ryun reported that there are several cases for court Monday, December 21, 2015. He has had problems serving one of the warrants.
* Due to change in Missouri law regarding warrants Chief Ryun sent out new subpoenas.
* Chief Ryun reported he is working on backups for all jobs.
* Chief Ryun discussed that there are several changes in how warrants are to be issued as there are some updates on codes.
* Brandon Leach, animal control officer, reported minimal animal control issues in November, however he has issued several verbal warnings.
* Mayor Peterson asked Chief Ryun to instruct Brandon on how to write tickets. In the future he will also hang the ticket on the door of the pet owner if they are not home and take a picture of it for verification that it was placed on the door. He is also to keep a record of each ticket issued. Brandon will also need to appear in court for the tickets that he issues.
* Water/Sewer Department Report:
* Wilson Jones was not present but sent his November report which was presented to council members. The waste water and drinking water samples show no problems at this time.
* Mark Adkison gave a report on equipment. The Bobcat has been repaired again. Dave Russell received a quote on leasing a Bobcat and will get more bids. The Council stated that they would like for the new Bobcat to be leased in January. The shape of the mowers was also discussed. The lease program is in discussion mode only as there was no vote taken. Mayor Peterson will contact the members as needed before the next meeting.
* Council members reviewed the ground tank report as presented by Mark Adkison as well as the water usage report. Mark reported that the ground tank was a little low this weekend but the alarm did not go off.
* Mark reported that Rollin Blacketer has been cross trained so he can be the backup for Mark when he is gone.
* The DNR required action resulting from the DNR routine inspection report of October 22, 2015 showed 3 minor corrections which will be completed and submitted on or before December 28, 2015.
* It was reported that a gutter needs to be put on the maintenance shed above the sliding doors so the tract won’t freeze in the winter.
* The to-do list for Mark & Rollin was to put more dirt around the valves and meters that need it, begin to use and complete the reports for all valves, replace any water meters that need replacing.
* Mark Schroer reported $5,441.66 collected in November for taxes.
* Mark presented the delinquent water bill report for council review.
A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to adjourn the business portion of the meeting and re-convene in closed session for the purpose of personnel. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. A Kent Rogge, aye, Randy Florence, aye, Dave Russell, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye.
Following the discussion regarding a personnel issue a motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to adjourn the closed session and re-convene in open session. Motion passed 4-0 in favor. Randy Florence, aye, Dave Russell, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye and A. Kent Rogge, aye.
Mayor Peterson stated that there will be a retirement party for City Clerk Mary Ann Campbell on December 29, 2015 from 2-4:30 open to the public. It will also be a greet and meet for new City Clerk Sharon Barker.
Collector’s Report continued:
* Mark reported that the office of City Collector will be closed December 25, 2015 and January 1, 2016 for the holidays.
* Rollin Blacketer and Mark Adkison continue to clean out ditches.
* Gutters were installed by 5 Star Blasting on the building where the sand and salt is stored.
* Mark reported that the truck was ready for winter plowing and salt and sand has been received. There was discussion regarding Emergency Snow routes. We already have an ordinance that states that when it snows cars may not be parked on the streets to make plowing easier for employees.
* No discussion.
First reading of BILL NO. 2015-07 (update) regarding the Lead Ban ordinance was read.
Wm. Roy Barker made a motion to accept/approve the first reading, seconded by Randy Florence. Vote was Dave Russell, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye, Randy Florence, aye and Wm. Roy Barker, aye. Motion carried 4-0 in favor.
Second reading of BILL NO. 2015-07(update) was read. Motion was made by A. Kent Rogge to accept and approve the Bill and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker. Motion passed 4-0 in favor. Wm. Roy Barker, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye, Dave Russell, aye and Randy Florence, aye.
Mayor Peterson recommended that Sharon Barker’s salary be $1,200.00 per month as Clerk Mary Ann Campbell stated it takes about 30 hours a week for the job. Sharon is to be paid $10.00 per hour for all work performed November 28, 2015 through December 31, 2015. Salary is to be effective January 1, 2016. Mary Ann Campbell will stay on as an employee backup for Sharon Barker and Mark Schroer at the rate of $10.00 per hour effective January 1, 2016. Motion was made by A. Kent Rogge to accept the recommendation. It was seconded by Randy Florence. A. Kent Rogge, aye, Randy Florence, aye, Dave Russell, aye. Wm. Roy Barker abstained from voting. Motion carried 3-0 in favor.
Wm. Roy Barker announced that he would not be signing any checks and would take his name off of the bank account in April 2016 when Sharon’s name will be added. Motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Dave Russell that the above be a part of the minutes. A. Kent Rogge, aye, Dave Russell, aye, Randy Florence, aye, Wm. Roy Barker abstained from voting. Motion carried 3-0.
Discussion regarding the sample employee manual and discussion of topics useful for the City Employee policy manual was tabled until next meeting. A Kent Rogge presented a sample to use for Employee Performance and Evaluation.
It was discussed that bids need to be received on refinishing the floor in the council room. Rick Peterson will contact Joe Burkhart regarding this.
Dave Russell stated that with all the security threats going on that he thinks that we need to have a police officer attend all school activities. Randy Florence will talk to Todd Shannon and Wm. Roy Barker will talk to Shane Weedman regarding this.
With no further business a motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to adjourn the business meeting. Motion passed with a 4-0 vote in favor. A. Kent Rogge, aye, Randy Florence, aye, Dave Russell, aye and Wm. Roy Barker, aye.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
Sharon Barker, City Clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor