CITY OF WELLINGTON
CITY COUNCIL MINUTES
NOVEMBER 9, 2015
The Wellington City Council met Monday, November 9, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. for a regular monthly business meeting. The meeting was held at the City Hall, 101 East Fourth St.
Council members present were: Dave Russell, Randy Florence, Wm. Roy Barker and A. Kent Rogge. Employees present were: Mark Schroer, Brandon Leach, Steve Ryun, Wilson Jones and Dawn Jones. Visitors present were: Ruth Beamer, Joe Thornburg, Jeff Block and Sharon Barker.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor, Richard Peterson with the pledge of allegiance.
A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by A. Kent Rogge to accept the agenda with three additions; council shall set the filing dates for the April 2016 General election, Christian DeLozier, Mike Keith Insurance, will present the 2016 insurance rates, and discuss the crime lab test findings regarding juvenile related issues. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Dave Russell, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye and Randy Florence.
A motion was made by Wm. Roy Barker and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the minutes of the October 12, 2015 business meeting as presented. Motion carried 4-0 in favor.
A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to accept the financial report as presented and to accept the current bills for payment. Motion passed 4-0 in favor. Dave Russell, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye and Randy Florence, aye.
Christian DeLozier, Mike Keith representative, presented an insurance proposal for 2016. A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Dave Russell to accept the insurance proposal as presented. Vote: Randy Florence, aye, Dave Russell, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye and A. Kent Rogge, aye. Motion carried 4-0 in favor.
Jeff Block and Joe Thornburg informed council the Christmas decorating committee will be putting the Christmas lights and the tree in the park 1:00 pm, Saturday, November 14.
The Wellington Fair Board will sponsor a Christmas parade with Santa Clause November 28. The Board will sponsor a chili, soup dinner before the parade.
Police Department Report:
- Chief, Steve Ryun, presented the October activity report to council.
- Council members discussed reserve officer’s schedule for patrolling with Ryun. Council member, Randy Florence, express concern with police reserve officers that do not work on a regular basis. Florence suggested if the reserve officer does not work at least 10 hours each month (unless there is a legimate reason) the reservist should be released from his duties.
- Ryun reported he had ordered more dog registration tags, door tags for pet warnings and additional street signs that need to be changed.
- Mayor Peterson inquired about the crime lab results regarding the juvenile related issues. Ryun reported he submitted a two juvenile reports to the Lafayette County juvenile officer.
- Ryun reported he is continuing to investigate several theft issues.
- Brandon Leach, animal control officer, reported minimal animal control issues in October.
- Water/Sewer Department Report:
- Wilson Jones presented his October report to council members. The waste water and drinking water samples show no problems at this time.
- Jones reported that the screen at the top of the water tower did not meet regulations when the DNR conducted their routine inspection on October 27 and will need to be replaced with a smaller mesh. Jones will contact Utility Services to replace the mesh.
- Mark Adkison was not present to give a water equipment maintenance report.
- Council members reviewed the ground tank report as presented by Mark Adkison as well as the water usage report. No problems were detected with either report.
- Mark Schroer reported $237.01 collected in October for taxes.
- Schroer presented the delinquent water bill report for council review.
- Water meter deposits for September were $450.00.
- Rollin Blacketer and Mark Adkison continue to clean out ditches.
- Sand and salt has been ordered for winter use.
- Bids from Herschel Todd and Trainer Siding & Windows were opened for installing gutters on the building where the sand and salt is stored. A motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the bid of $608.00 presented by Hershell Todd. Vote: A. Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, Dave Russell, aye a
- Randy Florence, aye. Motion carried 4-0 in favor. Mayor Peterson will contact Mr. Todd.
- Joe Thornburg reported he is waiting on a software update on the equipment he is borrowing from Missouri Rural Water Association that he plans to use as he records cemetery plot locations and other information.
- Thornburg also reported the Eagle Scout project lead by Mark Dickey went good. Many stones were repaired, however, other Eagle Scout candidates are encouraged to volunteer additional work projects for the cemetery.
Council tabled the personnel policy meeting until the December 14th meeting.
Additional time is needed to review the sample policy.
Council members made no change to the elected official salary for 2016.
A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to set the filing dates for the April General election to begin 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 15, 2015 and end 5:00 p.m. January 19, 2016. Vote: Dave Russell, aye, Randy Florence, aye, A. Kent Rogge, aye and Wm. Roy Barker, aye. Motion carried 4-0 in favor.
Randy Florence read a letter of resignation from Mary Ann Campbell, city clerk. Council members have received several resumes for the position and will be conducting interviews with these applicants on November 23 beginning at 6:30 p.m.
With no further business a motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to adjourn the business meeting. Motion passed with a 4-0 vote in favor.
Mayor Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
It was not necessary to convene in closed session.
Mary Campbell, city clerk
Richard Peterson, Mayor