The Wellington City Council met 7:00 p.m. Monday, March 9, 2015 at the Wellington City Hall, 101 East Fourth St. for a regular business meeting.
Council members present were: A.Kent Rogge, William Roy Barker, Randy Florence, Keith Portell was absent due to work commitment. Also present were; Steve Ryun, Mark Schroer, Brandon Leach, Ruth Beamer and a representative from Lexington News.
Mayor Richard Peterson opened the meeting at 7:00 pm.
A motion was made by A. Kent Rogge and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to accept the agenda as presented. Motion carried 3-0 in favor.
A motion was made by Wm. Roy Barker and seconded by Randy Florence to accept the minutes as presented. Motion passed 3-0 in favor.
Clerk, Mary Campbell, presented the financial statement for council review and approval. A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by A. Kent Rogge to accept the financial records as presented by clerk Campbell. Motion passed 3-0 in favor.
A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by A.Kent Rogge to accept the current bills as presented by Mary Campbell, clerk, for payment. Motion passed 3-0 in favor.
Clerk, Mary Campbell, proposed budgets amendments for the General Fund, Water/Sewer fund, Cemetery Fund and Bond Fund. (see attachment) A motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to accept the proposed amendments to the 2014-15 budgets as presented. A. Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, and Randy Florence, aye. Motion passed 3-0 in favor.
A first reading of Bill 2015-01, An Ordinance Adopting and Enacting a New Code of Ordinances of the City of Wellington. Motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to accept the first reading of Bill 2015-01. A.Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, Randy Florence, aye. Motion passed 3-0 in favor.
Second reading the Bill 2015-01 was read by Section by council member, Randy Florence. A motion was made by Wm. Roy Barker and seconded by A. Kent Rogge to accept Bill 2015-01 as Ordinance 2015-01. A.Kent Rogge,aye, Randy Florence, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye. Motion passed 3-0 in favor. Ordinance will be effective as of March 9, 2015.
First reading of Bill 2015-02, An Ordinance of the City of Wellington, Revising Sections 705.020, 705.030, 705.045, and 705.060 of Chapter 700, Water Regulations, of the Wellington Code Book, was presented by Clerk, Mary Campbell. A motion was made by Wm. Roy Barker and seconded by A.Kent Rogge to accept Bill 2015-02 first reading. A.Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye, Randy Florence, aye. Motion carried 3-0 in favor.
Clerk, Campbell, presented Bill 2015-02 for a second reading. Motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker, to accept the second reading of Bill 2015-02 as Ordinance 2015-02. Randy Florence, aye, A.Kent Rogge, aye, Wm. Roy Barker, aye. Motion carried 3-0 in favor. Ordinance changes which include a change in the water service disconnected regulations will become effective April 1, 2015. The changes are as follows:
- Section 705.020: Delinquent Payment—A 10% penalty will be charged and added to the water bill for non-payment of said water bill after the 28th day of the month.
- Section 75.030: Water Service Disconnected-When– After any default or failure to pay any water bill for a period of 10 days after said bill is due, said water service shall be disconnected. If the water service to the premises is disconnected, service shall not be reconnected until such time as the past due water bill, late payment penalty and re-connect charge are paid.
- Section 705.045: Occupant and Owner-jointly and Severally Liable—All occupants and users of the premises receiving services or water and sewage services combined and all owners of said premises shall be jointly and severally liable to pay for such services rendered on said premises. The City shall have the power to sue any or all occupants or owners of such real estate in a civil action to recover any sums due for such services, along with any late fees, plus a reasonable attorney’s fee to be fixed by the court. Any notice of termination of said service shall be sent to both the occupants and owners of the premises receiving such service, if such owner has requested in writing to receive any notice of termination and has provided the City with the owners’ business address.
No person may occupy or establish an account for water service at another premise within the City of Wellington until the prior outstanding bill and other charges are paid.
A letter will be sent to each water account holder regarding the water regulations ordinance requirements.
Council discussed further action required regarding the B&L Building. Council agreed to consider selling the property. Tabled for further discussion until the April 13 meeting.
Mayor Peterson informed council the host for the City’s Web site will expire in March. Council agreed to renew the site for another three years. Brian Campbell has agreed to serve as administrator of the site.
Water/Sewer Department report:
- Council reviewed the written report presented by Wilson Jones. There was no comments or discussion regarding the report. Wilson was absent due to illness.
- March to do list for Mark and Rollin include begin cleaning ou the storm drains, replace the man hole cover on Grace St., and put the boat at the lagoon on the trailer that was recently purchased.
- Mark Adkison was absent to give a report of equipment maintenance. Mayor Peterson informed council the mowers will be taken to the shop to get ready for use.
- Mayor Peterson updated council on the repairs to the two lift station pumps. The pump at Hwy. 224 is repaired and back in service. However, the pump on Hwy. 131 remains at ASC for repairs.
- Clerk, Mary Campbell, requested comments from council members regarding re-evaluating sewer rates. Council gave permission to re-evaluate sewer rates based on the water usage for January, February and March. The change to the sewer rates shall appear on the April customer’s water bill. Council will also be evaluating the current sewer rate of $4.00 per 1000 gallons of usage. Tabled for additional discussion at the April 13 council meeting.
- Council reviewed the police activity and heard comments fro Chief, Steve Ryun for the previous month.
- Ryun report he is interviewing a candidate for police reserve officer. Ryun reported when the necessary paper work is complete the officer will begin work. Possible sometime within the next week or two.
- Brandon Leach, animal control officer, informed council of several dogs that were running at large. Citizens are reminded the City does have a leash law and all pets must be registered at the Wellington City Hall and must be kept in the confines of the owner’s property or on a leash while accompanying the owner off said property.
- Ryun reported that several new reflective signs will be installed this month. Boy Scout member, Luke Schaberg, will be assisting with the project as an Eagle project.
- Council heard report from Mark Schroer regarding the delinquent water accounts. Citizens are reminded that the ordinance pertaining to the period which is water accounts are past due and the time water is shut off has changed from 30 days to 10 days after the due date of the water bill.
- Kent Rogge, council member, reported he and Mark Adkison seed the cemetery.
- A work day will be scheduled some time before Memorial day to try to replace/repair some of the stones which have fallen off the bases. If anyone is interested in volunteering to help with this project they are urged to stop by City Hall and let Mark Schroer know.
- After several meetings with the Department of Natural Resources it was determined the sink hole is safe to fill with concrete. It was not determined exactly what caused the hole. Repairs will be made March 11-12 by Melvin Beckemeyer with the help of Mark
With no further business a motion was made by Randy Florence and seconded by Wm. Roy Barker to adjourn. Motion passed 3-0 in favor. Mayor Richard Peterson declared the meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
No closed session was held.